You can't always see or even smell it, however it affects almost 1 in 3 Australian homes and can have devastating consequences on the lives of those who can't make antibodies against it. I'm talking about MOULD which many are referring to as the next asbestos. So given that fungi are nature's greatest decomposers and have been around well before us, why is mould such a problem now? Energy efficient homes are like plastic bags (air and water tight) with compromised passive ventilation. Consequently there has been a considerable increase in the number of complaints to the Building Commission about condensation issues. In addition we have gone from using natural building materials like hard wood timbers that naturally contain resins that are resistent to fungal attack to predigested particle board that has become the perfect fast food for mould. The two factors come together to create a toxic time bomb.
Body+Soul article: Mould - is it making you sick? 31st May 2015: Download PDF
The cause of mould is moisture
Fungi needs food and moisture to thrive. As microbes are everywhere on this planet from the Arctic to the Antartica, and most building materials and furnishings in our homes are the perfect fast food for mould, the key to addressing any mould problem is to identify the source of the moisture. Once moisture sits on a surface for more than 48 hours, bacteria and fungi have a field day.
- condensation issues: will be seen as water droplets on a surface. This can arise from the use of humidifiers, drying wet clothes inside a room with poor passive ventilation, unflued gas appliances, steam created from kitchen (cooking), laundry (washing, dryer) or bathroom activities (showering, bathing), too many occupants in a bedroom (we exhale water vapour), lack of insulation in the house and single paned windows (creates condensation on the walls and/or windows)
- plumbing, gutter or roof issues allowing moisture to penetrate inside the building
- building on a flood plain or aquifer
- insufficient drainage around the home
- building into a hill, on or at the bottom of a hill
- garden beds butting up against the house;
- sprinklers spraying on the home
- living in humid areas (consistently above 70% relative humidity)
- absent or insufficient water proof barriers in the wet areas of the home
- insufficient subfloor ventilation
- damage to the damp proof course
- metal framed homes creates thermal bridges (condensation occurs)
- concrete slab has not yet cured and is consequently releasing tonnes of moisture into the indoor air mass
- water damaged timber was used to build a home (or was left out in the rain during construction)
- building materials and furnishings in the home such as vinyl, metals, ceramics or sealed timbers/concrete have poor hygroscopicity (ie do not breathe). This creates a greater difference in surface temperatures
24% of the population cannot create antibodies to mould; so everytime these people are in a water-damaged building, they feel unwell
Black Mould or rather a single species of fungi is unlikely to be responsible for the vast array of health effects seen in a water damaged building. It is now thought that it is the chemical stew of microbes (bacteria and fungi) as well as their by-products (fragments, spores, endotoxins, mycotoxins...) that is likely to be responsible for the health effects. Around a quarter of the population have a genotype (haplotype) that does not enable them to produce antibodies to fungi; so everytime they walk into a mouldy building, it sets up an inflammatory response in their body that doesn't switch off. In contrast the rest of the population produce antibodies to these microbes which enables them to recognise and clear them from the body. This inflammation affects key neuropeptides in the brain - vasoactive intestinal polypeptide, melanocyte stimulating hormone and in some cases antidiuretic hormone which can cause much of the symptoms associated with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (see below). This is why some people in a water damaged home can get very sick, whilst their partners can be completely well. For a detailed discussion on the adverse health effects arising from exposure to mould, refer to Dr Ritche Shoemakers website.
- Fatigue that is not alleviated by sleep which completely affects their circadian rhythm (microsleeps during the day, unable to sleep at night...)
- Lung problems such as recurrent colds and flu that are difficult to get rid of, cough, sinusitus, hayfever, pneumonia.
- Chronic fatigue syndrome: headache, sleep disturbances, brain fog (loss of words, poor short term memory, forgetful), fibromyalgia (unusual body aches and pains) and inability to thermoregulate (hot and cold)
- About 30% of patients will experience excessive urination and thirst (not related to diabetes) and easy to get shocked when touching appliances. This is due to changes in osmolality due to issues with Antidiuretic hormone.
- Many patients go on to develop chemical sensitivity and electromagnetic hypersensitivity which are almost identical in their presentation
- Symptoms improve when they are away from the water damaged (mouldy) area
Treating mould illness:
There are very few health practitioners who have a good understanding of the devastating effects of mould illness especially in those people who are often misdiagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The following two GPs have trained under the US doctor Ritchie Shoemaker who is the world leader in biotoxin illnesses.
ITS ALL IN THE EYES!
Visual contrast sensitivity (VCS) testing measures your ability to distinguish between finer and finer increments of light versus dark lines (contrast) which differs to the visual acuity testing conducted in a routine eye exam. Night driving is an example of an activity that requires good contrast sensitivity. VCS testing has been used extensively by the military for aviators as it appears to be a better indicator of visual performance under day and night conditions than visual acuity. Loss of contrast sensitivity may indicate eye disease (glaucoma, cataracts, diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration) or neurodegenerative and inflammatory diseases affecting the optic nerve such as multiple sclerosis, Alzheimers disease and biotoxin (mould) illness. Consequently VCS testing has been used by the US EPA, NIOSH and the Centre for Disease Control. What I find so useful about this test is its accuracy in identifying mould illnesses (in conjunction with other inflammatory biomarkers) and its ability to monitor the progress of the mould affected patient. I routinely request all of my clients to do the test, pre and post remediation. Of course, whilst a diagnosis for mould illness cannot be established from this test alone, it is a simple tool that can easily be implemented to gauge changes in the client’s health. VCS test takes about 10 minutes and is free, though they ask for a small donation.
Testing the home for mould:
In some of the worst homes affected by mould, I could not see any visible mould or smell any dampness. Mould testing is a complicated procedure that involves moisture mapping to determine the extent of the water damaged materials, air and surface sampling (which are then sent to the lab to be cultured and analysed), use of borescopes and thermal imaging cameras to identify hidden mould and temperature differences, a good understanding of psychrometrics and the hygroscopicity of building materials and so forth.
Certificate in Mould Testing
The Australian College of Environmental Studies provides a Certificate in Mould Testing. 1300 889 8451300 889 845. www.aces.edu.au
As most mould spores are dead, they can still create health problems as they contain mycotoxins. Therefore it is irrelevant as to whether you kills the mould, rather the focus needs to be on getting to the source of moisture and then physically removing the mould with microfibre cloths and HEPA filtering (horse hair is best). For non porous surfaces use a 20% water to 80% white vinegar solution. For porous surfaces like untreated timber, use a 70% alcohol solution. Use the microfibre cloths to remove. Whatever you do, DO NOT use bleach as it is a useful food source for many types of fungi! If the area of visible mould exceeds one square meter, get a building biologist or accredited mould remediator to investigate.