07 Jul Drinking Water
DID YOU KNOW?
There has been a paradigm shift in our understanding of how fluoride works, which has validated the use of fluoridated toothpaste to reduce the incidence of tooth decay, and simultaneously abandoned the outdated notion that drinking fluoridated water or taking fluoride pills makes teeth stronger (Limeback, 2012, Fluoride therapy. Comprehensive preventive dentistry).
Like air, drinking water quality is something most of us take for granted, but can we afford to be so complacent? Australians often brag that they have one of the cleanest drinking water supplies in the world. Theoretically this assumption is correct if you drink it from the protected forest catchment area. As this is not permitted, the chemicals that are consequently added to ‘purify’ the water and the hundreds of kilometres of pipes through which it must travel, affect the quality of water that ultimately comes out of your tap.
This will depend on your source of drinking water:
Testing Your Water
Water testing is the only way you can adequately assess what you are actually drinking. We are excited to announce the arrival of the Watersafe test kit – a simple, economical, do-it-yourself kit that assesses 10 contaminants for $39.95. To order, click here
- Pesticides many are linked with cancer
- Copper can cause digestive problems, liver and kidney damage, increased risk of miscarriage
- Lead is associated with learning and behaviourhal disorders in children, nerve and kidney damage. Read more...
- Iron rust build up will turn the water a browny yellow colour, clog pipes, affect water pressure and may cause digestive problems
- Bacteria E Coli can cause serious illness and death
- Chlorine a lifelong consumption is associated with an increased risk of bladder and bowel cancer
- Hardness causes the build up of lime scale which can affect your whitegoods and a higher use for shampoo and detergents
- pH of your water the more acidic the water, the greater the rate at which heavy metals can leach
- and 10. Nitrates and nitrites from fertilisers and animal wastes are associated with serious health risks including blue baby syndrome and an increased risk of blue green algae
Which Water Filter
I am often asked, “What’s the best water filter to buy?” and there is no simple answer to this question. This will depend on several factors. Read more…
Want to Learn More?